Marsico Nuovo

Marsico Nuovo

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Arrivederci Siena

Basilica di San Dominico at Dawn

Waking early our last morning in Siena, I ventured out into the cold to say arrivederci to my favorite sites within its city walls. From the doorway, San Dominico was barely visible through the fog. Floodlights highlight many of the massive historic buildings throughout the night and into the early morning hours creating stunning architectural sights all around the city.

Entering the Piazza del Duomo
I turned left up Via di Diacceto, past the school and up the steps to the Piazza del Duomo. Usually filled with the hum of large crowds and vendors, the only sound heard was cooing and the flap of pigeon wings set to flight by my presence. 

Musical strains quickly entered my thoughts as I reflected on the street musician as he passionately played his violin in the corner to my right.  

Rays of light from streetlamps made their way through the foggy mist casting a yellow glow about the courtyard. 

Rounding the corner my eyes came to rest on a young couple, their voices barely audible, seated on a long stone bench as they took in the breathtaking sight of the Duomo - its tall tower barely visible in the fog. 



The Duomo


Piazza del Duomo

Following the path to our frequently visited caffè bar, I was surprised by a sudden burst of laughter making its way through an unlatched window. A door flew open as an agente di polizia locale stepped outside for an early morning smoke. After casting an inquisitive glance my direction he lit his cigarette and drew in a deep inhalation of smoke. The street narrowed opening onto the Via di CittĂ  and past the Piazza del Campo. 

On I went taking twists and turns up and down narrow alleys. Streetlights began to take on a more pristine hue as the fog lifted with the rising o the sun. Lights came on in windows; doors were opening; storefront grilles were being rolled up.  Siena was waking up to say Buongiorno (good morning) as I was walking past to say Goodbye.




Palazzo Pubblico in the Piazza del Campo
l





No comments:

Post a Comment